Saturday, April 12, 2008

Amusement

Another topic stressed in the book I'm reading is being in a state of amusement when practicing things. That means keeping your mind open to whatever can come up next and maintaining a playful point of view. This is important because being really stressed or taking everything too seriously triggers different chemicals in the brain that inhibits personal growth.

I think being too serious is one of the things that has prohibited me from spiritual growth so far. I've been way too logical in my search. Instead of seeking out something that fits me personally, I've put too much emphasis on finding the truth and nothing else. The problem is, not one man-made faith has found every single answer beyond reasonable doubt. The best I can do is keep looking until something "clicks" with me on a deeper level. If it feels right to me, then that is what I'm supposed to be following.

I know this isn't a new revelation: a lot of people have discovered a little truth in many faiths while never finding something entirely correct in just one. It's still an important realization to make, nonetheless.

The more I think about it, the more having a playful attitude when doing soul searching makes sense. By now, it's obvious to me that humanity as a whole is not supposed to know the meaning of life. We're here for a purpose, but we're the ones who have to figure it out. What better way to experiment than through play? Every single human has latent abilities far beyond the scope of their consciousness. Taking time out of the day to have some alone time and see what you can accomplish is just fun. It's also good practice for if/when you do need the skills you've developed someday. :)